image credit: Canada Soccer
Talking to Canada Soccer earlier today regarding the Concacaf Men’s Olympic Qualifier starting March 20th in Mexico, I was informed that they are working with the assumption that the tournament and the other related events will take place.
The Canadian Soccer Association is in contact with the specific governing body (Concacaf in this case) and the local public health authority. They are closely monitoring the situation and will follow precautions recommended by the host country Mexico, but as of Wednesday the original travel plans have not changed. However, the unveiling of the selection as been delayed from Wednesday to Thursday. That decision has been made to accommodate many members of the media and guarantee their availability for manager Mauro Biello’s conference call that will now take place on Thursday. Some players and staff are starting their journey to Mexico as early as tomorrow according to Richard Scott of Canada Soccer.
This comes right after Major League Soccer has officially postponed two regular season matches originally scheduled to take place on March 21st in Seattle and San Jose, two “pocket” of the outbreak in the United States.
I will monitor the situation and bring you accurate details if and when the situation changes.
Subscribe to Soccer Today! to stay informed on Canadian and North American Soccer.